Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Wednesday 13th August 2008 - Week Four Day Three - Global Health Challenge

I have found that this week I have completed more cardio sessions than lean muscle due to my teaching Cycle classes and have found that I am both motivated by the results and also the incredible Olympic athletes that I have seen.

How can anyone not be inspired by the amazing accomplishments of Michael Phelps (sure he is an American) but what a testimony to effort. I was telling my Spin Class last night that he never seems to quit or give up because it is "too hard" or "too difficult" so we used that mentality to draw on when I had them do a 7 minute mountain climb. What an amazing feeling when you complete something so challenging.

The commitment and dedication to completing tasks are what set truly gifted athletes apart from the rest of us. Sure, this is their career and they have to succeed to earn sponsorship dollars but there is an inherent level of pain for endurance goals that most of us don't and can't imagine that they do on a daily basis.

Now I have personally completed some amazing personal fitness challenges when I finished the Hawaii Ironman in 2000 and also finished the 24 hour Spin Charity Event in New York this year but my level of intensity was no where near that of the elite level athletes. Don't get me wrong I worked my butt off but there is a difference from that of my intensity to that of the professional athlete - now that I am in awe of.

So I have no doubt that many people will be inspired to get fit after watching all of the Olympic sports for the 14 or so days of the Olympics and I applaud anyone who makes the decision to improve their health but let's take a moment to put this into context for YOU.

While there is nothing wrong with aspiring to be your personal best also remember to do a reality check with that desire when you set goals. This level of athlete that you are watching each day is training 5-6 hours per DAY, and then doing that for 7 days a week, for months on end, to achieve both their incredible level of fitness and also their incredible dynamic physiques.

It is an unrealistic goal to want to look like this calibre of athlete if you are not able to do what they do or spare the time to make it happen. However YOU can be better than you are now.
It's YOUR Body, it's YOUR Life.


Global Health Challenge - Week Four (8 week Overview reposted in earlier blog)

Goal of this week is to consolidate the first three (3) weeks of life changing habits – Half way !
- Reduce your dairy intake
- Reduce intake of red meat and replace to white fish
- Maintain the three (3) days of activity – add an additional “family fun day” on the weekend
- Maintain H20 (water) intake to 8 glasses per day

TONY 's DIARY - (Week Four - Day Three)

Breakfast:
Energy Shake - 400ml Water + 45g Protein Powder + Combination Greens Powder + 1/2 cup Frozen Banana. Take a Daily Multi vitamin + Joint Power

Mid Morning Snack:
Green Tea x 2 + Protein Bar

Lunch:
Mixed Leaf Salad + Low Fat Cottage Cheese + Lean Ham + Tomato + Cucumber + Strawberries + Dressing

Mid Afternoon snack:
Cappuccino + 6 x Corn Thins with Peanut Butter + 25g Protein with 250ml water

Evening Workout - Taught Spin Class - and worked really hard ... intensity high !

Dinner:
Huge Mixed Leaf Salad + Capsicum (Red Pepper) + Tomato + Cucumber + Strawberries + Dressing.

2 Hours before Bed:
400ml water + Fibre Shake + 20g Protein Powder + Combination Greens

Overall - Water consumption = done. Workouts are intense with focus for the fourth week -I am feeling really strong and now pushing cardio to match muscle conditioning sessions.

Daily mantra:
I am totally committed to supporting my Human ECO System with my actions.

No comments: