Monday, August 4, 2008

Monday 4th August - Week Three Day One - Global Health Challenge

So now that we have begun the third week it would seem that positive patterns or habits that are more in line with achieving your goals should be coming a little easier. Note that I never said it will be easy, but it will always be a conscious choice AND knowledge learned is best applied to maximise the outcome we want.

You will also see that I have already had a challenge to my first day. One of the goals this week is to reduce caffeine intake to NIL. I was at a meeting and they never had any green tea as I am willing to try to reduce my caffeine intake ... now those that know me personally will tell you I LOVE MY COFFEE .... and while it isn't bad for you, I am trying to follow the path that I have set you all. Again not easy but we can only do our best.

I have spent years telling people that coffee can be a catalyst to getting lean.
Take a look at any of the "real fat loss" products on the market. They will have a caffeine type base (could be guarana or similar) but we know that it works. I was involved in the supplement industry as a national distributor and before taking the position I did a lot of research into what would and what wouldn't work. If there is interest I will do a seperate blog on just supplements.

So let me educate you on a few misconceptions that coffee has.

It is often said to be bad for you - WRONG - unless you have a caffeine intolerance or are on any medications that may be impacted by this - always check with your doctor when getting a prescription to see if it will impact on other medications or social habits.

It is often said to be a diuretic - NOT TOTALLY CORRECT - it is part of the family known as methylxanthine (meth'ilzan'thēn) which works like a Diuretic agent (eg, aminophylline, caffeine, or theophylline) that serves as a relaxant for your smooth muscles which is what your bowel is made up of. This means that if you have a strong cup of brewed coffee (high caffeine content) you may actually "poop" more - not a bad thing for most people.

It is NOT effective when it is mixed with SUGAR or any carbohydrate sources. So those people that are drinking the "energy drinks" to help their fat loss - BU BOOWW. It is totally ineffective as a source for increasing your metabolism when mixed with carbs / sugar. The only thing that you will get is tired after your workout from an over taxed adrenalin system.

Used sparingly to maximize the effects it can be a great source of additional assistance to getting lean BUT make sure that the rest of your nutritional habits are in order or else this will only be another element to add to the bodies issues and overload your human eco system.


Global Health Challenge - Week Three (8 week Overview reposted in earlier blog)

Goal of this week - consolidate the first two (2) weeks of life changing habits – Well done so far.
- Reduce caffeine intake to green tea or better yet none
- Reduce your intake of starch and grains to wholemeal versions
- Maintain H20 (water) intake to 8 glasses per day
- Maintain the three (3) days of activity

TONY 's DIARY - (Week Three - Day One)

Breakfast:
Energy Shake - 400ml Water + 45g Protein Powder + Combination Greens Powder + 1/2 cup Frozen Berries. Take a Daily Multi vitamin + Joint Power

Mid Morning Snack:
Skim Latte + Protein Bar (was out at a business meeting)

Lunch:
Tuna + Mixed Leaf Salad + Green Beans + Carrot + Tomato + Cucumber + Low Fat Cottage Cheese + 4 x Corn Thins + Dressing

Mid Afternoon snack:
Energy Smoothie - 400ml water + 30g Protein Powder

Afternoon Workout - 45 mins Pump Class + 15 mins Cardio on Rower

Dinner:
Grilled Salmon + Huge Mixed Leaf Salad + Carrot + Cucumber + Tomato + Low Fat Cottage Cheese.

2 Hours before Bed:400ml water + Fibre Shake + 20g Protein Powder + Combination Greens

Overall - I consumed enough water during the day. This is the beginning of the third week so for me personnally I not only completed my workout for lean muscle conditioning and cardio fitness in the afternoon but I have planned to increase the intensity for two of the days workouts.

Daily mantra:
I am totally committed to supporting my Human ECO System with my actions.

No comments: