Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Tuesday 5th August 2008 - Week Three Day Two - Global Health Challenge

The topic for today's knowledge session is CALORIE OVERLOAD.

I was talking with a friend this morning and they were saying that they are a little frustrated with the "results train being parked at the same station". Now I hear this alot. Probably more than I should with all the latest health awareness information that is available for everyone either on the net or in the books lining bookstore shelves.

For most people it's a case of getting into a "success rut or failure box" which then moves into boredom and frustration before finally thinking they have failed again and checking into the "Give Up Hotel". There you have room service, unlimited alcohol, loads of calorific food and of course NO activity is required.

This location aka "Excuse City" has different names .... such as Winter, I failed again, I'm Bored with the Gym, Nothing works for me and of course I've tried everything and they all suck.

So how do we overcome these issues without addressing the ultimate problem.
Your intake of calories is FAR greater than your output or use of them. This will be a combination of what you eat AND what you drink. Yes they all count towards the success tally.

With the Olympics starting this weekend it it likely to be a catalyst for a lot of people to "start to think about exercising again". GREAT so let's make a plan.

Now how can we achieve success in the long term. Well if you are reading this for the first time go back to the start of challenge and read what you need to do - then start = simple.

To address some easy mistakes that are commonly made.
1. Anyone who is on a calorie restrictive eating plan needs to check that it is high nutrient value and if not = change to high nutrient
2. Anyone who is on a calorie counting plan make sure that you don't eat the same amount of calories everyday as your needs = change this
3. Anyone who is using exercise as a way to maintain their weight or lose bodyfat has an uphill battle if they are not doing it everyday = change one or the other

These few steps we will build on over the rest of this week.

TONYS PROGRESS UPDATE.
I don't think that I am yet ready to lower my total caffeine intake to zero. I do know that I will do that in Week Five - which is the ECO Cleanse for 7 days - so will definitely note how I feel during those first two to three days.

All in all I am feeling strong with my workouts and the combination of cardio (with intensity) sessions through the Spin classes and also doing my Afterburner Workouts is definitely challenging. The lean muscle components with Pump are NOT designed for a bodybuilding regime (obviously) but rather so that I can continue to challenge myself with the all body workout but increase the metabolism and achieve a "double bonus". This is achieved because the more lean muscle tissue you add to your human eco system the greater the caloric demand to "fuel it" which means you are burning calories 24/7.

Entering the third week of the challenge the nutrition aspect is becoming less and less of a dilemna. Breakfast is perfect, it's quick easy and filled with nutrients. The filming of that is coming. With rotation of main evening meals I'm trying to learn to cook at the same time as I am doing this challenge - can someone say A.D.D.

In first week I tried to do some baking which went really and surprizingly well (*grins). In the second week I tried to make a Lamb Stew which again went well although it wasn't my favorite, I guess that it is hard to appreciate the limited taste when I realize the work that is required. So this week I will try to again do some baking as it also serves as "treats" for when I am getting cravings (which I do).

Global Health Challenge - Week Three (8 week Overview reposted in earlier blog)

Goal of this week - consolidate the first two (2) weeks of life changing habits – Well done so far.
- Reduce caffeine intake to green tea or better yet none
- Reduce your intake of starch and grains to wholemeal versions
- Maintain H20 (water) intake to 8 glasses per day
- Maintain the three (3) days of activity

TONY 's DIARY - (Week Three - Day Two)

Breakfast:
Energy Shake - 400ml Water + 45g Protein Powder + Combination Greens Powder + 1/2 cup Frozen Berries. Take a Daily Multi vitamin + Joint Power

Mid Morning Workout:
Pump Class 45 mins + 15 Mins Rower (Hard)

Mid Morning Snack:
Green Tea + 4 x Corn Thins with lean Ham + Avocado

Lunch:
Baked Salmon Fillet + Mixed Leaf Salad + Green Beans + Carrot + Tomato + Cucumber + Low Fat Cottage Cheese + 4 x Corn Thins + Dressing

Mid Afternoon snack:
Energy Smoothie - 400ml water + 30g Protein Powder
Small Crunchie Bar - felt like it - so I had it.

Dinner:
Grilled Salmon + Huge Mixed Leaf Salad + Carrot + Cucumber + Tomato + 100g Almonds.

2 Hours before Bed:
400ml water + Fibre Shake + 20g Protein Powder + Combination Greens

Overall - Water consumption now is not even thought of so I guess I have adopted that habit = LIFE BONUS. Am trying to mix up the times that I do my workouts to see if that affects my performance at all - stay tuned for updates

Daily mantra:
I am totally committed to supporting my Human ECO System with my actions.

No comments: