Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Tuesday 6th November - Eating Out Tips - Sauces

I got an interesting email from a friend who asked me when I go out for dinner do I get various sauces for the meal on the side of my plate. Normally I get them on the side as I am never quite sure what is in them.

While this may seem an unusual question it reminded me that you may also not what is in various sauces so I did some research and thought that I would share this with you all.

NOTE - some restaurants may thicken various sauces with wheat or cornflour so if you are on a particular diet this is good to know.

Bearnaise Sauce - white wine vinegar, white wine, shallots, tarragon, sald and pepper, egg yolk, butter, lemon juice, parsley

Hollandaise Sauce - egg yolk, lemon juice, butter

Pesto Sauce - basil, olive oil, hard cheese, pine nuts

White Sauce - butter, wheat flour, milk, black pepper

Cheese Sauce - butter, wheat flour, milk, black pepper, hard cheese

Gravy - meat juices (fat run-off) or meat stock, wheat flour, butter, pepper

Red Wine Jus - red wine, meat stock or juices, shallots, butter

BBQ Sauce - onion, olive oil, garlic, chilli, brown sugar, soy sauce, tomato sauce, pepper

Prawn Cocktail Sauce - prawns, lemon, tomato sauce, yoghurt, worcestershire sauce

Worcestershire Sauce - tamarind, chilli, anchovies, wine vinegar, molasses, cloves, garlic, onion

Now there may be variations of these sauces that individuals have but I just wanted to give you an idea of what the more common ones that I had encountered were. Hope it helps to provide you with some insight when next you are out.

No comments: