Saturday, July 12, 2008

Saturday 12th July 2008 - I'm a Poster Child for ADD and ADHD

I was reading the paper this morning and my blood started to boil - translation - I was getting very angry at the latest Government recommendations for children's health. Now, I have never been diagnosed for ADD or ADHD but have no doubt that I should be a Poster Child for both as any of my friends would attest.

Why do I say this?
I am writing three movie script storylines currently.
I teach Spin cycle classes a few times per week and personally workout daily.
I am developing health program for global health challenge and continuing to educate myself on health issues to help others.
Earlier this year I rode in New York for 24 hours straight with only 5 min breaks each hour on a Spin Bike for Charity after flying halfway across the world from Sydney the day before.

It is these abilities that impress other people with my skills to complete multiple tasks and due to no doubt part to my passion. Now I don't make light of these medical conditions that afflicts others but have found a way to "channel my passions" into results through controlling and taking charge of my health with sound eating principles and regularly energy use with an active lifestyle.

So when I read this article in the Paper today in Sydney I was disgusted !!!

RITALIN and other ADHD drugs have been officially endorsed by the Federal Government as a "first-line treatment" for children, under new guidelines. Parents have also been warned to ignore alternative treatments, such as diet and exercise, which the guidelines claim have "limited or no benefit" in treating ADHD. The draft guidelines have been compiled by the Royal Australasian College of Physicians, following a Government review last year. But parents and experts yesterday rejected the guidelines saying drugs should be a "last resort".

Associate Professor David Forbes, chair of the ADHD guidelines working group, agreed that not enough research had been done into alternative therapies. He said evidence proved medication did work in treating ADHD. "No one is saying kids go on medication and stay on it," he said. "There wasn't the evidence to support a positive reaction (for diet and exercise)."

THIS IS A JOKE AND AN INSULT TO ALL HEALTH PROFESSIONALS.

Of course there wasn't enough evidence. Who is going to fund a research study into whether exercise and diet modifications will work to help children? No one.
There is no one to benefit from this research apart from the children that are being over-medicated.

The Drug companies wouldn't do it or else it could affect their sales and profits.
The processed food and sugary drink companies wouldn't do it or they would have to change their food ingredients BACK to whole food WITHOUT additives.

So what is ADHD?
Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a neurobehavioral developmental disorder affecting about 3-5% of the world's population. It typically presents itself during childhood, and is characterized by a persistent pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity, as well as forgetfulness, poor impulse control or impulsivity, and distractibility. ADHD is currently considered to be a persistent and chronic condition for which no medical cure is available, although medication can be prescribed. ADHD is most commonly diagnosed in children with about 60% diagnosed with ADHD retain the condition as adults. It appears to be highly heritable, although one-fifth of all cases are estimated to be caused from trauma or toxic exposure. Methods of treatment usually involve some combination of medications, behavior modifications, life style changes, and counseling.

So let's take a look at the Ritalin Side Effects.
Nervousness and insomnia are the most common adverse reactions but are usually controlled by reducing dosage and omitting the drug in the afternoon or evening. Other reactions include hypersensitivity (including skin rash, fever, arthralgia, exfoliative dermatitis, erythema multiforme with histopathological findings of necrotizing vasculitis, and thrombocytopenic purpura); anorexia; nausea; dizziness; palpitations; headache; dyskinesia; drowsiness; blood pressure and pulse changes, both up and down; tachycardia; angina; cardiac arrhythmia; abdominal pain; weight loss during prolonged therapy. Allergic reactions: skin rash, hives, drug fever joint pains possible. Headache, dizziness rapid and forceful heart palpitation-infrequent.

So is it just me or does any of this sound appealing for your child to have and go through. I know that I personally would be agitated, upset and distracted with any or all of these side effects and probably couldn't sleep which would make me forgetful, grumpy and angry.

Hang on, what are the indications of ADD and ADHD again ?
Agitated, forgetful, distracted. Hmm definitely a good reason to keep our kids medicated as these side effects definitely can be controlled by inducing a drug filled haze that surely impacts on both learning and cognative habits. So I guess then all we need to do is UP the medication and oh yeah ... commit our kids to long term drug dependancy.

How do I cope when I get distracted?
I channel my focus by controlling my excess levels of energy with workouts and tasks.
I support this with conscious eating habits.
And as a result I am not only more in control, less agitated, less distracted, I sleep better, and of course I am very healthy with low bodyfat which supports positive self esteem.

While my passion is and always will remain fitness and health it is a hard business to contend with the billions of dollars that are spent to market drug company products and unhealthy, processed food that is also supported by the "sugar drinks" industries. These industries while not working together are definitely platforms that support each other with "spin doctor's" and mis-information.

Medical institutions and drug companies garnish massive profits from our children's ill health and while I would like to believe that eventually there will come a time when fitness and health can actually compete, I dont see that in the short term.

Now I am off for a workout to bleed off this disgust and "excess energy" !!!!

No comments: