Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Wednesday 24th October - The value of Cross Training

Im not talking about training when you are angry !!
What I'm talking about is the value of doing a variety of activities when you are being active to achieve the optimal outcome.


I have begun to use the term "workout" a lot less both in my conversation and in my writings because I think that there is a direct relationship with that word and having to go to a fitness centre. The relationship to the "workout" word for most people hasn't been a pleasant experience in the past, either because the individual never achieved their desired result, or for a lot of people they associate it as hard work.

Now I refuse to sugar coat what is actually required to achieve optimal fat loss when you do decide to be active because it WILL involve some hard work. It will involve you increasing your caloric expenditure, it will involve you sweating and it will involve you doing more to use the calories that are currently "resting" on your body then you are doing now.

Now the point of today's Blog relates to a question that I received asking me if a person purchased a treadmill to have at home would they be able to get great fat loss results. I told her no.

Why did I do that ?
Well I am a firm believer of the benefits of Cross Training. There is so much information to support the benefits of cardiovascular training (heart health)combined with lean muscle training (maximal calorie burning) that just walking or running on a treadmill ALONE just won't do it so it is not the best option.

Is it a bad option ?
No, it is definitely better than sitting on your butt watching the world go by, but I think that if your goal is to decrease bodyfat levels back to a more optimal level then why not do ALL that is required instead of just half so next time you won't be disappointed by not reaching your goal.

Bottom line - to lose the bottom get up off it and move !!

No comments: