Sunday, October 21, 2007

Sunday 21st October - Killer Calories !!!

I have just spent the weekend at a Nutrition Conference in Sydney.
While I had the pleasure to present alongside some very distinguished health professionals, it was the amount of knowledge shared that was incredibly beneficial.
Some good, some controversial to spark dialogue (which I love), some of the same we have heard for years and so to anyone who has an interest in this area I will try to share some of what was covered over the next week.

Topic - How much is enough ?
At the Conference there was mixed dialogue between Presenters and Delegates over whether the amount of calories we should consume is best at five small meals or three meals and two snacks. There seemed to be a reason for each case depending on the client that was being helped. There was however less debate about the number of calories (although many spoke and compared having too little ... little was spoken of having too much).

One point I raised in response to this conversation was designed to create some debate so that we might address the total amount of food (calories) suggested that we consume. I think that it is too high even though it is at the lower end of daily intakes of calorie suggestions (see outline explanation below) and remember this is open for discussion ONCE you have read this.

I still think we eat too much and move too little or as I have coined it in my book - currently in society in most western countries we are "under-active and Over-fed".

I noted that it had been suggested in past week's national paper (Sydney Australia)that we should consume 2,100 calories per day spread out over five meals.

Let's make some assumptions to explain.
If we start each day with a total amount of calories of 2,100.

I sought some expert advice and it has been explained to me that the daily metabolic expenditure for an average person is less than 1,000 calories expended to live. This may be lower in overweight individuals who have less lean muscle.

Then if that same person is exercising every day (which the fitness professionals I asked will atest to, seems to be around three times per week for an average person and is highly likely to be less for most). That person's exercise caloric expenditure could be anywhere from 300 to 700 (upper end for leaner, muscular, fitter people). Let's be "generous" and say then use 600 calories per session.

That indicates that they have a surplus of 500 calories everyday and by the end of the week have enough additional calories (3,500) that equals a kilogram of fat. Times that by 4 for a month and then 12 for a year. That is a scary number.

Now I have been generous in the caloric expenditure during workouts. I have kept the total amount of calories at ONLY 2,100 which is a "healthy balanced diet". So this doesnt account for additionaly calories being consumed or the inaccuracies of knowing and reporting an individuals caloric intake.

Again - let me mention that it is 4kgs of fat per month ....... those are what I call "KILLER CALORIES".

I hope that this makes sense and I want to qualify that I don't lightly provide this information to justify for anyone reading it that a low calorie diet is good. However I do want to say that a Nutrient Dense eating plan that is supported by positive Anti-Oxidant eating habits will not only ensure that you are healthy and lean but that you are getting the necessary amount of FUEL your Human Machine requires.

Look forward to the debate !

No comments: