Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Tuesday 30th October - Portion Distortion assistance

Portion Distortion - is when you inaccurately assume how many calories that you have consumed when asked to recall your food intake. We always tend to under-estimate how many calories we have eaten. This is part of the "wider problem with obesity".

However, walking through the Supermarket the other day I was noticing that even in Australia, we're beginning to realize the importance of the correct amount of calories and how the "marketing of this" will be supported by me.

Why does this matter ?
Normally, we consume foods based on hunger and not upon what our body actually requires for it's functioning. That sets us up for consuming too many calories as we are often guilty of what my mother used to say the 6 children in my family "your eyes being bigger than your bellies" which means we would normally get more food than we could eat and then don't finish it.

This rarely happened on my plate. I did tend to have a "healthy appetite" and with my hyper levels of activity have never suffered from a weight issue - I did mention that "I was A.D.D. before it was trendy".

How will this portion control help ?
This new growing trend that I fully support is that we are starting to make people aware of "portion control" servings. There is one company Freedom Foods here in Australia that has launched the 100 healthy calories range of products. I have been trying their products and have now made the Multigrain Wraps my staple lunch. They not only are well within the health range for a great food but they also taste good. I will add some salad, some lean protein - wrap them up and eat.
I also know that this is NOT a calorie laden meal.

Another great example of this portion control servings were started by Weight Watchers. They have always been on this road of limiting their clients intake of foods. Now I haven't always been supportive of all their methods for weight loss BUT in this case it appears that there is merit in becoming more aware of your total caloric intake. My personal favorite are the small tubs of fruit (low sugar /small serving size).

So think about those total calories that you consume. Better yet try to get out each day and do a little something to use them - in other words - get active !!

No comments: