Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sunday 28th October - Riding the troughs of the day

I was out surfing this morning when it dawned on me as I waited for the waves to roll in that it was much like facing the day ahead because you never know how long you have to wait or what you are going to get.

As the waves were rolling in, some were better than others which then gave me choices to make. Would I take this wave or would I take that wave because between each wave was a trough, so I had time to make decisions. Think of your day as a set of waves rolling in to the beach, because once you get up in the morning you start the day with a blank slate but face many choices and challenges.

Be honest, you rarely plan nutritionally for the day the same way that you plan for other aspects of your busy lives such as work. Most people get up, shower, get dressed, then make sure they have their important life things such as keys, laptop, credit cards and then grab "something quick" for breakfast, if at all, as they race out the door to face the day.

This sets up the first wave and subsequent trough.
Already in the body we have forgotten the importance of brain food (fuel or food intake), increased our stress levels (by running late), and have no idea where or when the next fuel stop is or will happen.

By mid morning we are looking at our next trough.
Already now in a low energy state we are battling to make it to lunchtime. Like most people we reach for that "sugar and/or caffeine hit". You know what I am talking about - muffin and latte. Snack foods of champions ..... NOT !

Not only was this a bad nutritional choice but these two combined won't even get us to lunch with any level of satisfaction and cause us to plummet into our third trough (and it isn't even 12pm). How do you think the stress levels in the body are coping with no nutritional support and that impending work project deadline or other life challenge? This is war for your immune system.

Imagine that there are three to four more stress filled troughs to face before bedtime and this wasn't such a great day in hindsight and to think had it started out with a plan, we would have not only been in control of our energy levels, but be winning the war.

Here is another example.
I was talking with a mother of a one year old and she told me that she was working out hard to "get her body back" after the baby. I commended her and asked how was her eating habits. We both smiled as we both knew the answer.

She said really found it hard to find the time to adequately get in time to eat because when she did have a "spare minute" when the baby was asleep that there were other chores to do such as the washing so she would just grab something like a biscuit. I nodded with understanding (and empathy) having had this conversation with many Mothers but wasn't going to give up. I thought for a second as I needed to find a way to make this more personal for her experience so that it resonated.

I then asked her what she did when her child asked for a sandwich or needed food. She smiled at me and said that she stopped doing whatever she was doing to get her daughter food because that was important. I didn't want to dismiss the many challenges that new Mothers face but I also wanted to help her so I said when she was making the sandwich for her daughter she could also make one for herself but I could see this wasn't the right answer for her.

I mentioned one of my personal strategies that I shared to my former clients.
When I was busy working (not even close to looking after a child), I still tried to plan ahead to avoid any "troughs in my day". So in preparation of these possible challenges, I cut up a few slices of bread into small squares (multi-grain of course) and put them in a ziplock bag. In the fridge I keep mashed up avocado, slices of tomato, and some lean ham, chicken, tuna or other protein choice (adding hommous to your tuna adds flavour and lessens the fishy taste if that's an issue).

I would plan breaks and then grab two to three small squares of bread, spread on avocado thinly (although it's a good fat it's still a large calorie option), with some tomato, lean ham or tuna, cracked pepper and eat it. Easy option, tastes great and way better for me than any biscuit option. She liked this option and said she would give it a go. Already feeling like she was taking charge she smiled and left.

Remember that there are many easy choices for "faster food" which is what I call "on the go options" that are better for you and can nutritionally form part of your plan. Another idea is keeping on hand some lavash style bread. Add any of the above "filling choices", you then roll this up and head out the door.

Make a couple of spares, wrap them in tin-foil and keep then in the fridge so you are never caught wanting. Also grab one as you head off on your chores, or put one in with your partner's bag for lunch (put in a ziplock to avoid spillage) or take them to pick up the kids after school. It's less like a typical sandwich and can be "unwrapped" and eaten much like the fast food options. Add a drink of water and that is a great trough filler until the evening meal.

Think strategically and this will become habits making it even easier.
Pass these tips on and spread the good word.

No comments: