Sunday, April 20, 2008

Sunday 20th April 2008 - What makes an EXPERT ???

I attended the Australian national fitness convention at the weekend and was amazed at the amount of people who were clambering to get supplements at reduced prices. The signs were screaming FAT LOSS FAT LOSS FAT LOSS ....

Of course I couldn't help myself as I walked among the rows of products to check out their nutrient profiles and of course I overheard some of the claims (insert myth-information) being made for the "un-knowing" people enthusiastic about not being fat by those that quite possibly may have had some "chemical assistance".

Don't get me wrong. I am the first one to scream "it's your body - it's your life" but don't tell some young kid that you took this protein powder and it made you huge ... please .... be honest with them if not yourself.

Now we (the fitness and health industries) often preach to consumers about wanting to be healthy and that should be your goal but in all reality most people just care about not being fat. It's a true and sad fact of society that our physical appearance is often directly related to how people perceive us. If you are in great physical shape most people assume that you are in good health. Now this isn't always the case.

Most elite level athletes are suffering from over-training syndrome. It is likely that this is applicable for nearly ALL the professional athletes today. More often then not they are training intensely five to six days a week with a competition day to round them off. Subsequently there is little chance for recovery and this has come about due to the demands of the dollars that are required to pay for large salaries and business costs. This plays a direct role in their immune systems being overworked and as a result illness happens.

So with so many fat loss opportunities how can society still be getting fat ?
If there is so much information available online, weight loss books and workout DVD's, TV shows like the Biggest Loser, personal fitness trainers on every corner, fitness centres opening (and closing), weight loss clinics, fat loss products on every shelf, then how is it possible that we as a world are continuing to get fat ??

Add to that, that there are more diet plans appearing in the media every week.
Now one concern that I have is that many of these NEW plans are coming from "recovering or reformed" overweight people which really doesn't make them an expert on nutritional and physical programming. I think it's great that they have changed their habits and saved their own lives BUT their limited experience (which is normally 12-16 weeks of public adulation) doesn't convert to practical experience of dealing with the many health issues that face society today.

Now I have never been overweight. It is my choice not to be. I constantly develop and evolve the eating regimes and activity plans that I recommend through not only my own personal research, I also have a highly qualified "bank of peers" who I always try to confer with on these subjects. I also attend nearly every conference all over the world that I can, and read the latest information (both good and bad) as I can't make an informed evaluation if all my input comes from one source.

Then I try to make the "translation" to allow others to understand the often complex information that is available. That is my ability that I constantly try to improve. If my goal is to always strive to be a better "translator" I should also try to live my own program. I have lived the Human ECO System way of life and have been able to better understand how my body works to get healthier.

When spreading this knowledge it is sometimes lost to the public in the media jungle as it isn't supported by a six pack weilding guy with a tight butt and big breasted girl telling you that six minutes a day is all you need or pop this pill and your life will be improved as you lose fat in your sleep. Sadly that sells to the public.

Back to the programming appearing in book stores and also in morning Television info-mercials. Now while I support the results that these NEW healthy individuals achieve I am against them capitalizing on the years of expertize from "THEIR trainers" that have had to learn how to teach others which allows the overweight of society to regain their pride, health, self esteem and personal knowledge.

The fitness industry is considered by many to be a part-time job BUT not by those that constantly strive to do their best and fuelled with passion for changing societies poor health by helping others.

Who is your expert ??

No comments: