Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sunday 24th February 2008 - Nature vs Nurture in the Human E.C.O. System

It has been quite interesting seeing the interest for my "knowledge is power" theory from the blog I wrote a few days ago. I've had emails ask me what they could do to learn more about their bodies.

My first response is to actually learn to listen to what your body is telling you about your lifestyle. Now this seems obvious and easy, but it's not.

Listen to your body signs and not the usual ones that most of us recognize, such as I'm hungry or I'm thirsty but the more sympathetic signs such as becoming more aware of your breathing and how that affects so many different elements of your Human E.C.O. System. This isn't as easy as it sounds.

Try to breathe slowly in and count for four (4) seconds, and the slowly breathe out for four (4) seconds. Do this for a series of seven (7) breathes with your eyes closed. This breathing pace will slow down your heart rate, which in turn relaxes the tension in your body which eases stress, and also sends signals to all your muscles to relax. All because you just listened to your breathe. Try it and let me know how you go.

Now for today's blog I wanted to talk about relationships. No I am not going to give you advice on how to be the perfect partner but more the love / hate relationship most people have with their bodies and food.

This topic came about because in the last month I have met some amazing people in many forms of the business world (including health experts) but there often seemed to be a real lack of ability for the successful people to be healthy where as the healthy people were desiring more business success.

I have spoken in an earlier blog of what I see as the perils of working in the fitness industry and it's long term proposition for financial success due to limited fee that can be charged and this is then impacted upon how many hours a week you can train clients so now let's focus on fixing what we can and get everyone healthy.

Today I am going to speak of the many "clients" that have shown interest in getting a clearer and more successful path to health by "cleaning up their Human E.C.O. System". Doing the breathing exercise everyday (and especially in times of stressful situations will definitely help).

Business people of today are working longer hours, most against their best intentions; spending less time with family and friends which is not their preferred choice; eating out more often and snacking "on the go" unhealthy caloric laden foods (high in sugar and fat); drinking more socially with work events and conferences, which all places definite stress on their health.

This means in a nutshell that their success results in getting healthy are slim and in all likelihood will fail. This adds to their displeasure at making the necessary changes required next time they try.

The majority of people all over the world are consuming less quality nutrients, topped up with nutrient empty calories, high levels of IN-activity, longer work hours, tension and stress filled lives and moderate to high levels of unhappiness.

There really is no excuse for blaming others when it comes to controlling what goes into your mouth. YOU are responsible. Step up and start to own your choices - good or bad. I have heard time and time again over the 20+ years of being a trainer / consultant how a client had no choice but to eat what they did.

Please that is such a load of garbage (literally).

I no longer smile nod my head and feel sorry for them. Empathy yes, sympathy no. Why, because for the last four years I have worked in an office environment and had to PLAN each day so that my personal first priority (my health) was taken care of. Before I left for work each day, I had my energy shake which mostly meant getting up 10 minutes earlier, packed my meals or high quality snacks in my bag dependent upon the day's activities and where I would be. You most likely never leave home without your mobile phone, your house/car keys and your laptop so it's all planning.

There are always excuses, no time, too hard, don't like, don't want etc etc but in reality being healthy is work. Ask the model whose body you aspire to have, what they do everyday and it's simple. They will most likely tell you that they have to work hard at looking good because it's their job.

The same levels of application (notice I didn't say dedication) because it isn't always a passion filled job but becomes routine and sometimes boring. Think of it this way, you sit in your office, they sit on the exercise bike. You attend meetings, they attend fitness classes. You grab a snack from the vending machine or a fast food option, they make an energy shake or consume a nutrient bar. Life is all about choices and actions.

It is the nature of mankind to make bad choices when it comes to our health. They are easy. This needs to change so that we nurture our Human E.C.O. System and allow it to function efficiently.

With this level of intent for "self-help leading to self-health" it would directly impact and reduce the overwhelming levels of obesity related diseases from polluting our Human E.C.O. System.

It's your choice - It's YOUR LIFE !!

No comments: