Saturday, February 2, 2008

Saturday 2nd February 2008 - Making a Game Plan

Well it is now the start of February 2008 and this is a great time to evaluate what HEALTH goals you want to achieve this year now that the party season is over.

By now nearly everyone has resumed or returned to their normal everyday lives; people are back at work from holidays; kids are starting or returning to school; this means that there is a clear and present danger to fall back into your old bad habits and again this year not get to that place you desire = better health.

Let's review our current status.
Did you make New Year Health Resolutions and stuck to them ?
Are you thinking NOW would be a good time to get healthy?
Has the partying and celebrations finally slowed down ?

These obvious questions we need to address when building a plan. Equally you need to take an honest appraisal as to why YOUR plans have failed in the past and see if YOU are committed to making the necessary changes required.

Yes there will be changes required.
All too often the beginning of the year seems like a great time to "change your life" when in fact this may not be the case. Ultimately, the best time is when you are focussed enough to do this.

One of my favorite motivational lines for "sticking to a game plan" that I personally use all the time is: Have the courage to finish what you start !

This simple message has been my personal mantra at times when I have been challenged to complete different tasks and I use it on myself much like when I am trying to motivate a friend to try that little bit extra to achieve a major goal.

Remember the difference between ordinary and extraordinary is just a little "extra" effort.

Recently during the 24 hour charity bike ride in New York, the mantra presented a different kind of aspect for me. After 10 hours of "Spinning" my left knee had started to ache (I have patella or knee-cap tracking issues) which means that my knee alignment places additional burden on surrounding muscles that it shouldn't resulting in pain and I started to question if I would be able to go on.

Now I was faced with facing the reality of not being able to finish a goal. This was not mental question of "can I do this ?" when the mantra works perfectly but was in response to a physical one of dealing with the pain aspect. Fortunately I was able to cope with the pain and went on to complete the 24 hours straight. I had the courage to finish what I started.

Normally I use the mantra when "thinking" about obstacles I'm facing. You know what I am talking about. That voice that doubts your abilities and with that doubt often comes procrastination. Then creeps in a fear of failure or "what if .....(fill in missing words for you)...?"

Bottom line is that you might fail but so what if you do fail.

Really are we talking about world peace here.
Normally, it's just our own built up patterns of doubt that someone might know that we are not perfect ...... (say that last line out loud). No one who is really your true friend will ever think you are perfect. They know that you have faults and are still your friend because when it comes to faults - WE ALL HAVE THEM !

Now if you listen to that voice of doubt, I bet you can come up with a million reasons why giving up is the easy option. Think of past times when you have been aiming for a health goal that didn't succeed. All too often that old famous excuse of "I'm busy" gets in the way. Read my last blog and you will see that being busy doesn't mean that you are either being productive or being focussed.

The hardest decisions we have to make affect us personally. With work or friendship it seems to be a "no-brainer" when we have to make tough decisions, but put them into a personal context and we really only battle with our inner demons over potential failure.

Try this next time those voices speak up.
Imagine that YOU are a friend who has come to you for support.
Would you say "mate just give up, just in case you fail" or is it more likely that you would be a friend to this person and encourage them regardless of the potential failure option or even the outcome.

Remember also that there is the success option.

Fear holds many of us back from setting out on a path that will definitely have challenges but also positive rewards. Building a game plan and sticking to it will ensure that all you are doing everything right for achieving your 2008 health goal.

But not trying because you might fail is the greatest tragedy of all.
Have I failed before ? Many times but it is each time that I succeed that I use for motivation when I am next faced with a hard choice or challenge.

Make 2008 your best health year ever !

1 comment:

strat said...

Success will always be in the way using such simple and creative methods.

greg herlean