Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Wednesday 19th December - its beginning to look a lot like ...........

To all those that have been emailing and texting me as to why I haven't been writing my Blog I have to say sorry but I have been busy.

You are probably thinking that I am talking about Christmas which is rapidly upon us but no that has not been my main reason. I have been so engrossed in writing my movie script that I am losing days to the development of storylines and it has been a lot of FUN !

It is coming along really well - or that is what I am told from those that have seen early segments. See I told you there was an advantage to "being A.D.D. before it was trendy". It has allowed me to totally explore my creative side again from an aspect of pure entertainment and not one of helping anyone. This has been an incredibly liberating and refreshing time and feedback for the early drafts are very supportive.

So what can I tell you without giving too much away. It is a fun, action, adventure story about what happens when you arrive in a foreign country and how you need to get along with the locals and how they interact with you. Oh yeah and it's set in the Australian outback with lots of different scenarios with lots of interesting characters and ......... thats all I can say for the moment.


Then there is the imminent trip back to the United States in 30 days. Yes I am again travelling across the "pond" to New York City. I have volunteered to take part in a childhood obesity fundraising initiative for Dr Mehmet Oz and HealthCorps.

HealthCorps educates American youth about the workings and wonders of their bodies through in/after school seminars on diet, nutrition, exercise. HealthCorps empowers children to become educated consumers and to make shifts in behavior that can be measured by changes in rates of obesity and physical fitness as well as mental well-being and self esteem.

Dr. Mehmet Oz is the Professor and Vice Chairman of Surgery at Columbia University, Director of the Cardiovascular Institute, and Founder and Director for the Complementary Medicine Program at New York Presbyterian Hospital.

I first met him two years ago when I was in New York promoting my animated health heroes the Body Mechanics (www.bodymechanics.tv) which is aimed at children in the 5 to 9 years age group. HealthCorps works in High Schools so it seemed that our meeting was destiny. He wanted to get involved with Elementary School (Primary) but had no means to do this. He loved what I had created and has always been a supporter of our efforts.

This fundraising initiative is going to take place in Grand Central Station (New York City) with a 24 hour Spin Class with 100 participants but I will post a seperate blog about that.

So obviously I have been busy writing the movie script (FUN) and training my butt off (WORK). One compliments the other as when I need a break from the characters I just head for a workout which is currently 3-4 hours a day with the 24 hour class only 30 days away.

Now to the Xmas cheer. With the shops full of people spending more money than they can afford on people they don't like .......... wow that sounds a little too much like it's bar-humbugish so I will modify it to explain what I am getting at.

The fitness centres are under utilized at this time. Everyone is out partying and drinking "for the festive season" and getting in way too little sleep and then justifying it by saying hey Xmas only comes once a year. Yes it does but you then spend four weeks celebrating this one day.

Again I don't want to put a damper on your fun. However, be smart. Stay focussed on your health goals. Don't eat crappy food and drink lots of alcohol then feel bad because you are doing it.

Let's set some plans.
1. If you know you are going out after work, get in your training session before work or during your lunch break. DONT MISS IT.
2. If you are going to be drinking try to ensure that you don't overload the body with unnecessary calories from eating bad food.
3. There are 7 calories per gram of alcohol, which can add to a lot of additional calories in your system, especially if you are not exercising.
4. If you are having a big night then BEFORE you go out, do some cardiovascular training (20 mins with intensity) then do some circuit based resistance training using light to medium weight (10-20 mins with little rest between exercises) would be great. REMEMBER this is the basis for my AfterBurner workouts.

I am not going to get you to do anymore than this.
Try to think of all that excess calorie consumption as "toxic pollution for your Human ECO System". No one but you puts those calories in your body but YOU !

Be responsible - don't drink and drive. Have a wonderful safe and Merry Xmas. Enjoy your family and even when they drive you crazy remember they are family and that is what Xmas is really about.

Smile and tell them you love them - HEY it's Christmas.

No comments: