Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Wednesday 19th December - 24 hours on a Spin Bike ... OUCH !

As I mentioned in the last Blog I am going back to New York in 30 days to spend 24 hours (with a few breaks) to take part in a fundraising initiative for HealthCorps.

What is the event ?
24 hours. 100 spin bikes. 1 Guinness World Record for the most distance travelled. Get Ready Set - Go.

Did you ever think that one day you'd be riding a spin bike in Grand Central during rush hour? Or that you and your friends would be helping out a great cause, while trying to set a Guinness World Record at three in the morning? Well, now you can.

New York Sports Clubs and Snapple are proud to sponsor "Saints & Spinners" – a 24hour Spin Party and Benefit to help HealthCorps fight teen obesity.

We're looking for a few (thousand) good men and women.
Riders of all levels are welcome to participate in this once-in-a-lifetime event. Just picture Vanderbilt Hall (the entrance to Grand Central Terminal in the middle of New York City) packed with 100 spin bikes. Every hour a new set of riders, led by a top instructor from New York Sports Clubs, will spin for a fun, 55-minute workout.

Yes, there will be celebrities. Yes, this is a great cause.
So who's riding? Dr. Mehmet Oz, celebrity chef Rocco DiSpirito, rap legend Grandmaster Mele Mel, members of the cast of The Apprentice...and that's just for starters.
You'll also ride with top athletes and people from the world of fitness, fashion and finance – everyone's welcome. I am raising the money to donate to the cause – all net proceeds go directly to HealthCorps. You might have seen HealthCorps founder Dr. Mehmet Oz on Oprah recently talking about the importance of fighting teen obesity.

As you can imagine this will be a huge event and a huge personal undertaking from me. From what I am told by the organizers there is a team of riders going for the Guiness Book of Records and some riders are doing 6-7 hours but only the Global Health Warrior is going to attempt to do the entire 24 on his own. What can I say - it is a personal challenge and a cause dear to my heart.

I fly out on the 17th for the event on the 18th. This again is a strategy so that I don't get jet-lag until the event is over. Having now done seven trips between Sydney and New York over the last three years I am pretty familiar with how my body adjusts and hey I am sitting down hahaha.

I am planning on filming segments of the next 30 days until the event and then during it I will get some footage so that you can see how exciting and "painful" the event is. Needless to say there are many hours of training that lay ahead leading up to this but I keep telling myself it is only one day in your life for a cause worth supporting !

So while you are sucking down your egg-nog and munching on Xmas festive treats spare a thought for my "glutes" pinned down to the seat of a Spin bike just cranking out minute by minute.


Stay tuned for updates and if you want to sponsor me let me know !

3 comments:

"B" said...

The event is in January? How does someone participate?

Tony Findlay said...

Hi there,

go to the following link - click on the one below and follow the steps at the top of the page. Let me know if you are going to be there.

http://www.healthcorps.net/

Splice said...

Best of luck Tony!!