Monday, December 3, 2007

Monday 3rd December - Control Freak or Control Freq

Has anyone ever described you as a "control freak" and by that they mean that YOU have to be in charge of the situation. It can be seen as a personal attack if you are sensitive to the opinions of others.

It has happened to me. At the time while most of us would seek to defend or justify our position, I hope this Blog serves to provide a different perspective and comes from a place of non-judgement but one more of acceptance.

Clarity comes to me at different times for different things but writing this Blog each day has served as a form of "therapy" and I hope that I am honest enough to be truthful in all aspects of what I write.

This "therapy" has served to give me glimpses of not only the person that I am, but also I hope, the person I want to be. Whether this is observed by others is not as important to me as constantly trying to live up to the goals that I set.

For example - The Global Health Warrior credo is :
Strength of Mind
Compassion of Heart
Integrity of Soul

For those of you joining us late in the game allow me to describe my personality;
I have a strong competitive drive and that fuelled with both passion and experience wrapped up in an undiagnosed ADD state (I tell people proudly), makes for a pretty confident person. However, I always am cautious to try to temper that with humility.

In the past I have been labelled a "control freak" but as I gain more insight into myself, I have found that this is NOT QUITE correct. When I have created a project or have been tasked with completing a project, I do try to fulfill that task to the best of my ability to achieve a positive outcome.

At other times I am willing to "let go" of this responsibility and surrender it to others so they can also be involved. This "surrender" doesn't mean give up, but instead if means that at that particular time someone is more suited or qualified to fill the "drivers seat" position than I am.

This clarity came to me as I was spending much time in "downward dog" when the instructor would tell us all to relax and breathe. This takes some real focus for me to do but it is getting easier with practice. As I started to "surrender" to my breathe I realized that the "control" was being removed. It was then that I realized that I am more a "control freq".

When it is required, I just dial in on my frequency and then assume control again "and get behind the wheel". This ability to recognize the difference gave me a sense of ease as I then shifted back into the "passenger seat" and went along for the ride.

I think that at times in our lives we are all in "control of the drivers seat" but it is our ability to let others take a turn that will make us better "passengers" and also take some of the stress that a lot of people feel.

YOUR goal is to find your frequency and now how to turn down the dial to let others be either in control or involved in your relationships at home and at work.

Hope this helps to give you some perspective so that next time someone calls you a "control freak" you can smile knowing that your dial might need some adjustment and their comment will offend less.

No comments: