Saturday, January 26, 2008

Saturday 26th January 2008 - Australia Day downunder

The prospect of a three day weekend is appealing to most people at any time but this weekend downunder is the celebration of our national heritage.

For those in the northern hemisphere it has all the fanfare of the 4th of July style of party that ensures that everyone gets outdoors; the harbour is full of boats; people taking part in the celebrations; crowded beaches (with mostly sunny skies), and as evening falls the usual breathtaking elements of fireworks bring the patrons out of the bars to the sounds of "oohs" and "aaahhs".

Families get together for BBQ's and picnics, friends meet up with friends and all in the name of our patronage to the past. I however, am sitting here in my hotel room in Los Angeles and following the festivities through the internet and also text messages from friends and family.

I will be heading back to Sydney on Monday evening after a very FULL two week trip. From the excitement of preparing over the last six weeks for the fundraising event and completing the full 24 hours of Spinathon action which raised $250,000 and was held in the beautiful Grand Central Station in New York, to then enjoying a weekend at my favorite restaurants with friends in the Big Apple. I really like that city and also the people who were so very warm and generous with their support during that "long day" of riding.



That is me on stage at the final hour - and feeling like I could go another ....... well maybe not.

Then the trip to Los Angeles was challenging as it is only a six hour flight but my knee was still a little tender and so I was cautious in the first day of the conference. I arrived here to find that they have had as much rain in the last three weeks as they had in all of last year which makes for hazardous conditions and made for a wet visit. The Yoga Conference was superb and I connected with some amazing instructors from all over the United States who also are passionate about changing the unhealthy lives of others.

So as I miss the excitement of the long weekend spent in the warmer conditions in Sydney I am also aware that "globally" we are getting smaller and far better at reaching out for others who are like minded in the "community of better health".

It's lunchtime here in L.A. and I have noticed that the sun is peeking through the clouds which means that I may be able to get down to try a new organic food restaurant in Santa Monica that one of the instructors told me about.

So I am sending positive celebratory love back to my family and friends and hoping they had a sensational time this weekend - see you all soon.

No comments: