Saturday, January 12, 2008

Saturday 12th January 08 - Not long to go till NYC trip

It seems like only yesterday I was thinking I needed to add another article on to this Blog site but lo and behold it has been over a week since my last post. Now that sounds like a confession but it isn't.

Let me say in my defence that I haven't been sitting around watching the cricket n TV or reruns of Seinfield (although they still make me laugh). I have been doing every little thing I can to prepare for the upcoming event in New York. It is a series of 24 x 1 hour Spin classes back to back. Due to my constant desire to be tested on a personal level I have undertaken to complete the total 24 - if I make it :-)

Now to answer some of the questions that I have been getting from friends and people curious to find out what it is about I will answer them here :
- I don't have to work at 100% for the whole time - hey even I am not that brave or stupid
- I get 5-10 minutes each hour to hydrate and refuel the body / change clothes and footwear as appropriate / toilet break etc / stretch the muscles

NOTE - I would personally like to thank the wonderful people at WholeFood Farmacy (www.wholefoodfarmacy.com) who have agreed to sponsor me and supply me with their awesome foods. My favorites are the Phi Plus and TrophiPhi plus so many others. I urge you to take a look at their range if you live in the U.S. as it is second to none for quality AND taste as well as being made up of WHOLE FOODS !!!

After discussing with some friends who have themselves been involved in many different long distance disciplines it seems that while the body will continue to work, it is the boredom of the mind that is the biggest hurdle.

And for those that do a lot of bike riding (apart from the numb butt cheeks) they say that this boredom is the challenge I will face.

Now as this is a Charity event and I'm not trying to set any land speed records so I get to apply logic with my riding. I have only been preparing for this event for the last 5 weeks so it is a plan that has evolved based upon each previous days efforts.

That has led me to decide to undertake as many different modes of training as possible leading up to this event.

I have been of course doing Spin classes (teaching and participating), Running (both indoors and at the beach), PowerYoga (to increase both flexibility and improve posture), Weights (to maintain upper and lower body muscle balance), Paddling on the Harbour (for cardio and also to add to my memory for those boring hours when I can imagine that I am not sitting on the bike).

This approach served me well when I did the Hawaii Ironman Triathlon with only 13 weeks of training and finished that in 15 and 1/2 hours. That was a "long day in the office" and I'm hoping that the excitement and other 99 riders each hour will keep me company and increase the fun this time.

I went and got a massage yesterday afternoon as the body needed it and it felt amazing. I slept like a baby - awesome. Then got up this morning and did a Beach run then 1.5 hours of Yoga - and now for lunch !!

I will keep you posted. 5 days to go !!!

No comments: