Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sunday 14th June 2009 - Stumbling Blocks or Stepping Stones

I saw this headline posted on a billboard yesterday and at the time I was driving to teach my Spin class. I had nearly 30 minutes to contemplate how I would use this saying as part of my motivation in the training session with the gym members.

In life we often see obstacles or hurdles that may present in our lives as problems. They can manifest into situations where we seem to have no option or alternative which makes them insurmountable.

Now let's take a different approach this perceived problem by adjusting our attitude. If you think of those "tough" moments during training sessions when you believe you can't do anymore or improve the result, often the first response is to give up or quit. In this example they are a "stumbling block".

However when those times or situations arise during our training sessions, what will happen if we try to push through that perceived barrier? Probably we will surprise ourselves by achieving success. Of course you will not succeed everytime but there will be times when you cross the line in the sand or break through that barrier. This success was only made possible by "trying". In this example they are a "stepping stone" on the road to improved health.

So it got me to try that with the class. First I spoke of my sighting of the sign. Then I mentioned that I added the next part.

Stumbling Blocks or Stepping Stones = Perception + Attitude - YOU can make a difference.

At the time we were beginning on a hard hill climb and I wanted them to try harder then their own perceptions of their personal abilities. I really took them on a challenge, I knew that as my heart rate was high and breathing was tough.

I looked around at the class and they were not only working hard but they were also smiling. We all got to the top of the hill and there was a different feeling in the room. A lot of these people were regulars in my class and know that my Saturday morning Hour of Power is not for the faint hearted so I knew that they would be fine but today there was a new lady in the class, who did the climb and also achieved a new high level of personal best effort.

After the class during cool down we spoke of personal experiences and many felt that it was their best effort in a workout. I felt priveleged to have been part of that, because reality is that as the "instructor" we really are only a facilitator to motivate them to work out and it is up to the individual in a Spin class to keep increasing the dial intensity so they really become "their own trainer".

The new lady in my class approached me afterwards, happy because she hadn't ever worked that hard before and was both pleased and surprised. I then congratulated her on her amazing effort. I smiled and asked if she would be back and she held up the timetable with my class circled and said "of course".

Another happy customer on the life path to greater health.
I am still smiling from that class and their effort and can't wait to be back in the saddle.
Days like yesterday is why I am a Fitness Professional !

No comments: