Monday, July 20, 2009

Monday 20th July 2009 - Man walks on Moon 40 years ago

I thought that a post on today of all days needed to be worthy and filled with such significance to be relevant for our lives.

The day man walked on the Moon is without doubt one of the greatest achievement of mankind. I can still remember it happening, of course I was very very young (*smiles) and without doubt there would be few people who have not been impressed at one time in their life when looking upwards at night at it's majesty.

To launch a rocket into space in 1969 filled with men who will walk on the Moon, and then to be able to bring it back to Earth, must have seemed like the biggest challenge when it was conceived, and I'm sure there were the doubters.

Of course as an Australian I hold special pride in the fact that we assisted this process to happen in a place called Parkes, for those that don't know the story of our involvement, there is a movie called The Dish that is worth watching. There is a very large telescope there that tracked the moon landing for about two hours and beamed that around the world - so yes we were integral to that moment in time.

It was a time for action and discovery.

So for me I started to wonder about this - if action speaks louder than a thousand words - how many words does inaction speak of ?

When in your life have you faced the prospect of such a journey that the very thought of "change" caused you to become immobile or plagued with fear?

I think that human nature is governed by the fear of the unknown, which is why we seem to be impressed when someone succeeds at anything. We offer praise and hold their efforts up as an example to others of bravery, which as a fan of anyone who "tries to succeed", I am a supporter of these efforts.

More often then not humans find the option to stay in a place of pain is less fearful than that point of decision where we decide to move forward. There is a saying "it's better the devil you know, then the devil you don't" but I would ask the question, why do we mostly assume movement is a bad thing and it will cause us pain.

And it doesn't necessarily have to be forward. It can be sideways or even backwards to move forwards in life. I personally have done more than my share of "movement", some forward, some sideways and definitley some backwards but ultimately I think that has led to constant growth of me as a person.

The ability to make a change is put into motion by that first step, whether it be the decision or the movement but there is no doubt that just sitting and contemplating movement is inaction. We often fear what we think may or could happen is going to be bad and so seem stuck either in a rut, on a treadmill, or in a hole based upon our worst fear scenario's.

I find strength in talking with or being around positive energy. It fuels me and fills me with a sense of purpose or drive to attempt or achieve any obstacle. I can recall when I was invited to compete in the Hawaii Ironman Triathlon in 2000 and only had 13 weeks to prepare that so many people I know informed me that I wouldn't succeed and it was impossible to think I could do it that to someone like me it was like waving a red flag at a bull.

My philosophy for this life event was simple. This was a life experience I could only dream of attempting after watching the race live the year before and so while I was unsure of how I would go I had no doubt I would finish which was my only goal.

I remember one "friend" telling me that it was a waste of time to compete and not try to win and inwardly I just laughed. That to me is a defeatist attitude. Sorry but in following his belief it appears there is nothing in life to do unless it's about winning, well, I was never that desperate to be first, however he is known for being desperate which is his cross to burden.

I finished that race and take great pride each time I recall how hard it was and holding the medal at the finish line, but believe me there are not many people who have done the race that would tell you it is easy. That is why it is such an honour to be called an "Ironman" I guess.

Another example is two years ago I was invited to undertake a 24 Hour Spin Challenge in New York's Grand Central Station with a charity called HealthCorps. Not only is this one of my favorite charities dealing with teen obesity it was started by a friend (Dr Mehmet Oz) who is truly inspirational and continues to give to this cause even though he is quite busy.

The people who were organizing the event were so motivating and helpful during those moments when I was really being pushed to continue that I did and completed the total 24 hours and felt amazing for at least 30 minutes after the event when I fell asleep upon reaching my hotel room.

Each person has a different motivating factor for doing what they do but it takes "action" to make that happen. My point is that action and movement are linked to success.

No one hands you anything in life that is truly earned and to support this there needs to be a high level of commitment, passion, dedication and drive. We all have it and once your move from fear to positive light there is 9 times out of 10 = personal growth.

So today - think of one aspect of your life, and it doesn't have to be nutrition or activity related that has you hitting the "pause" button and try to see if you can move forward, sideways or even backwards into a better place.

I promise you that the elation of victory is worth any challenge.
It's your life - take charge and own your actions.

No comments: